First Home Grant Tas
If you live in Tasmania and are buying, building or having a new home built you may qualify for a First Home Grant Tas. If you meet certain criteria then amount of the grant is $10,000 and for those who meet additional stricter criteria then the amount of the grant can go up an addition $10,000 until June 30, 2022 allowing people who meet the stricter criteria receive a First Home Grant for a total of $20,000.
This one off payment is designed to help new home owners afford to buy a new home sooner than they could without this assistance from the government.
What Constitutes a New Home Under the First Home Grant Tas?
A New home for purposes of the First Home Grant Tas is any residential property that has not been previous occupied or sold as a place of residence.
What Constitutes A First Home Build (Either a Contracted Build or Owner Builder)?
For purposes of the First Home Grant the build must be:
- Located in Tasmania
- Be fixed to your land
- Meet local planning standards
Substantially renovated homes may also qualify for a First Home Grant Tas. These substantial renovations cannot have been sold or occupied as a place of residence since the substantial renovations were completed.
Eligibility Requirements for the $10,000 First Home Grant Tas
In order to qualify for The $10,000 First Home Grant in Tasmania you need to meet the following criteria.
- You must be an individual not a trust or company
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Neither you nor your spouse can have owned a home prior to July 1, 2000
- You cannot have owned and occupied a home for more than 6 months after July 1, 2000
- If you are building a home must occupy the home as your principal residence within 12 months of the completion of the completion of the transaction.
- You must reside in the residence for at least 6 months
- You have not previously received a First Home Grant
In order to qualify for the $20,000 First Home Grant in Tasmania you need to meet all the $10,000 eligibility requirements as well as several more stricter requirements that are more difficult to meet. If you cannot meet the additional requirements you will still be eligible for the additional $10,000 grant.
Notification of Grant Eligibility
Once you have applied for the First Home Grant in Tasmania then you will receive a letter from the State Revenue office notifying you within 10 days of your application and the necessary supporting documents whether or not your grant has been approved or denied.
How To Apply for The First Home Grant Tas
In order to determine if you can qualify for The First Home Grant you need to fill out the form at the bottom of this page. To apply for the grant you can apply through your lender at the same time that you apply for your home loan. You can also apply directly to the State Revenue Office in Tasmania.